381.png


Join Now Home Member Login Contact Us
YOUR County Chamber
 
 

 

Member Spotlight


The Waukesha Freeman
801 N. Barstow St.
Waukesha, WI 53187
Phone: (262) 542-2500
Newsroom Fax: (262) 542-8259

E-mail news items and press releases to: news@conleynet.com.

Website
Facebook
Twitter


Editor

Bill Yorth
(262) 513-2671
byorth@conleynet.com

News Editor
Katherine Michalets
(262) 513-2657
kmichalets@conleynet.com

Advertising Director
Jim Baumgart
(262) 513-2621
jbaumgart@conleynet.com

Circulation Manager
Tim Haffemann
(262) 513-2640
thaffemann@conleynet.com


Did you know...?

  • The Freeman was founded in 1859 to give voice to the Abolitionist movement and fight slavery.
  • The Freeman was the first business in Waukesha to have an elevator.
  • The Freeman was the first business in Waukesha to have a central telephone system.
  • The Freeman published the first three-dimensional ad in newspaper history, with 3-D glasses stapled to the papers.
  • The Freeman set a state precedent by winning a lawsuit that defined open records law in Wisconsin.
  • The Freeman is printed at its downtown Waukesha building.
  • The Freeman is part of Conley Publishing which also includes the Oconomowoc Enterprise, West Bend Daily News, Ozaukee News-Graphic, Milwaukee Post and M Magazine.
  • The Freeman prints monthly publications in Brookfield and Lake Country that are printed on full-color, glossy paper.
  • The Freeman just launched a monthly real estate and home improvement section called Homes Plus that is printed on full-color, glossy paper and appears in both The Freeman and Oconomowoc Enterprise.






Spotlight Archives


825.png

The Freeman is Waukesha County¹s Daily Newspaper. The Freeman has been the local news source for more than 152 years and continues in that vital role today.

The Freeman has print editions Tuesday through Saturday and an electronic edition Monday through Saturday. The newspaper is committed to providing essential local news, commentary and information to citizens in the Waukesha area. The Freeman has an extensive local sports section and features many stories about local businesses.
In addition to the daily paper, The Freeman also publishes monthly publications in Brookfield and Lake Country that are printed on full-color, glossy paper.

The Freeman is also committed to providing advertising opportunities to help businesses in Waukesha County succeed.

As one of Waukesha¹s oldest businesses, The Freeman cherishes its own heritage and the history of the community. The paper runs a monthly week-long column showcasing a part of Waukesha¹s past.

The Freeman is a proud member of the community. The paper supports various positive community efforts such as the Freeman Citizen of the Year Award and Freeman Friday Night Live.

 


824.jpg

History of The Freeman

The Freeman was founded as a weekly newspaper by Martin Cullaton with the support of abolitionists in 1859. Waukesha was an important stop on the underground railroad, which guided runaway slaves to freedom in Canada. The Freeman was founded to provide a voice to the anti-slavery movement.

The first issue of the Freeman was published March 29, 1859, from an office in the upstairs room of the Waukesha County bank at the Five Points in downtown Waukesha. Cullaton, 26 at the time of the paper¹s founding, owned the Freeman for only six months and by 1874 the Freeman had changed hands six times.

Then H.M. Youmans became its owner, publisher and editor. He would continue in those roles for 55 years. The Youmans family owned the Freeman until 1979. During the Youmans tenure, the newspaper underwent many changes and established a reputation for quality journalism.

In 1879, the Freeman moved to the second floor of the building at 803 and 807 N. Grand Ave. It moved into a new building at 259 South St. after World War I.

The Freeman became the first business in Waukesha to have an elevator. Later, it became the first city business to have a central telephone system.

In 1920, the Freeman purchased the Waukesha Daily Herald and became the Waukesha Daily Freeman.

Ground was broken for a new building in the summer of 1936 and the Freeman moved into its 200 Park Place site the following year. An addition was built in 1961.

In the 1950s, it won acclaim for investigations into Waukesha County law enforcement.
In 1953, the paper published the first three-dimensional ad in newspaper history, with 3-D glasses stapled to the papers.

In the 1960s, the Freeman was a leader in the battle against secrecy in government and set a state precedent by winning a lawsuit that defined open records law in Wisconsin.
The Youmans family sold the Freeman for an estimated $8 million in 1979 to the Des Moines Register and Tribune Co., which sold the paper to Thomson Newspapers in 1983.
The Freeman broke ground at its current home at 801 N. Barstow St. on Oct. 1, 1990.
Thomson sold the Freeman to Conley Publishing Group in 1997.

In 1993 and 1994, the Freeman earned back-to-back Wisconsin Newspaper Association general excellence awards as the best newspaper in the state in its circulation size. In 2005, The Freeman received 12 awards in the Wisconsin Newspaper Association better newspaper contest. In 2008, the Freeman again won the Wisconsin Newspaper Association general excellence award.

The Freeman celebrated 150 years of publication on March 29, 2009.

Always an ardent supporter of the rights of all people to be free, the Freeman¹s primary mission has been and continues to be serving the people of Waukesha County with news and a public forum for ideas.





If you would like your business or know of a business that should be highlighted in the Member Spotlight, please contact Kelsey DeMarais.